In the footsteps of Van Gogh in Auvers-sur-Oise
Whether the Ravoux Inn is your starting point or just a port of call on your journey in the footsteps of Van Gogh, give yourself enough time to wander around and discover the banks of the river Oise, the vast prairies of the Vexin plateau and the other notable sites in Auvers:
• The cementery where the two brothers lie side by side;
• The Romanesque/Gothic church immortalized by Van Gogh;
• Daubigny's studio, with its wonderfully restored décor painted by the Daubigny family and friends, Corot and Daumier;
• The house of Dr Gachet and its beautifully planted garden, painted by so many artists;
• The Absinth Museum, a superb tribute to the notorious 'green fairy';
• The nearby château (Château d' Auvers).
We suggest that the visitor to Auvers might most conveniently visit these sights on foot: enjoy the pleasure of exploring the narrow lanes and hidden corners of the village and soak up the spirit of the place. You will go part of the way to being an inhabitant of Auvers – and Auvers will amply reward you.
To drive the maximum pleasure from your visit, allow for a whole day or, better still, a weekend.